HOW I STARTED MY HAIR JOURNEY

Hey lovelies!!

So you know this natural hair thing has been trending for some time now yeah? Pause. Let me take you back in time.
 I was rocking my natural hair for the early parts of my life. Until one year when i got tired of making my hair, I mean, would you blame me?
My mother wasn't very good at weaving my hair for school and i had to go to one old woman to be making my hair for me. I would sit on one small wooden stool while she held my head in between her laps. Let's not forget all the tugging because my hair was hard like firewood. It was not a good experience one bit. Talk about beauty is pain.
 So one day I got fed up and told my mum I wanted to cut my hair and she agreed. I was VERY happy. No more traumatizing weaving hair moments.
Then after a few years I decided to grow out my hair again and this time it had to be relaxed. So I did and then enjoyed the bliss of straight hair.
Then #teamnatural started. Of course i was more than happy to join the team when i saw those big happy fros so I stopped relaxing my hair. I was planning to do a transition not big chop. Remember my hair being like firewood?? Yep.

When i wanted to comb my hair, the pain was out of this world. Like i literally shed a tear or two while combing. I mean i was moisturizing and sealing or so i thought. Let me just say i didnt have money to buy all them leave in conditioners and deep conditioners. I was still happily in the petals shampoo and soulmate cream gang.

So after 9 months of torture, with Jesus joy in my heart i relaxed my hair. My hair refused to straighten even with the relaxer in super strength. Anyhoo, after many more relaxer episodes, I finally had my straight hair back. Looking back I realize I probably had the wrong techniques and the wrong products.

But I knew I didn't like the flat pressed down look on my hair after every time i got a relaxer touch up. So i was never quite 100% satisfied. But it was definitely better than the hard hair. It didn't need any special products to get in shape and I was pleased. I even managed to attain hair beyond shoulder length and everyone complimented me on the length of my hair.
I mean, for a Nigerian to have hair beyond shoulder length with all the wrong hair practices and ever-so-tight braids and weaves, you had "achieved". I stayed this way for years though...

Stick around to read up the concluding part here

Toodles...xx

To contact me for enquiries and suggestions, send me a mail
thatgirlconnect@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts